Monday, May 5, 2008

Vendor Spotlight: I Dream of Cake

Welcome to cake week at Zenadia Design! Up first, a vendor spotlight in I Dream of Cake.
When I discovered I Dream of Cake in the Bride and Bloom, I immediately went to check out their website. As I did, my jaw dropped further and further open as I searched more and more into their website. Shinmin, owner and head designer of I Dream of Cake is simply put, a master artist. I am not even kidding when I say this, her cakes make me want to display a cake in my house, purely as a decoration! To say the least, I fell in love with her creations so I was ecstatic when Shinmin agreed to an interview and feature on Zenadia Design! So without further ado, I give you Shinmin of I Dream of Cake.

Zenadia Design: How did you get started designing wedding cakes?
Shinmin: Well, I was actually originally trained as a graphic designer, and then ended up with a job in finance by accident. So as an creative outlet, I started baking a lot and brought all my baked goods to work. I discovered that I found a new passion in baking. So I quit my job and bought a one way ticket to Sydney, Australia to study at Le Cordon Bleu. When I returned to SF, I decided to combine my two passions and live a life of food and art.

Z: Your cakes all have such a unique style, tell us a little about where you find inspiration.
S: Like an artist, I find inspiration in everything I see. Fashion, print, textile, cars, architecture, even the sky. However because I am a trained graphic designer, I'm most inspired by bold graphics and print.

Z: What is your favorite part of your job?
S: I love painting on cakes. I love creating intricate colourful patterns on cakes. It's so therapeutic and rewarding.

Z: What advice would you give our readers when selecting their cake vendor?
S: First and foremost, find someone who understands your style. Determining the design is the most important part of the process, the execution is easy compared to the conception of original artwork. And don't be afraid to be original. Do something different and be open to suggestions.

Z: When not designing or creating beautiful cakes, what might we find you doing?
S: On my days off, I'm often in book stores looking through design books. I am a design junky, so this is my life. When I'm not at work, I do design research for fun and relaxation. After a nice home cooked meal, you can also catch me in a movie theater. I'm a film buff.

Thank you so much Shinmin! It was so great to get to know a little bit about the artist behind those amazing cakes. When someone, such as yourself, is truly passionate about what they do it really comes through in their work.
Alright, lets take a look at some of Shinmin's amazing cakes! This is just a small sample of Shimnin's work. Please, please PLEASE go to their website and check it out. You will NOT be disappointed!!




How awsome is this cake?! I love the chandeliers! If you go to their website and click on "about us" you can actually see Shinmin working on this particular cake.


Look at all the detail! So stunning.




Thanks again, Shinmin. Your work is truly inspiring.

4 comments:

Aletha | Pearls Events said...

WOW--those cakes are amazing! Thanks for the fabulous vendor spotlight. LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. Her cakes are absolutely fabulous! I can see how a person would want one as a work of art in their house. She is an incredibly talented designer and artist. Thanks for the great feature.

Anonymous said...

As you said, go to the website. The cakes she does are absolutely gorgeous. What a talented, creative designer!!! How could you cut one up??? The flavors sound delicious, though.

Big Shot said...

LOVE the chandelier cake. Gorgeous. And I am misspelling chadelier, I just know it.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online